Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Beauty and the Beat of Buenos Aires

Just because our romance didn't last forever, doesn't mean my appreciation for her won't. In the corner of my heart there is a light that will never go out for Buenos Aires, my home for four and a half years and the subject of the third of my six travel essays for the Bangkok Post's the magazine.

"Me Duele Una Mujer En Todo El Cuerpo."

If you listen closely, you can almost hear the wailing soul of Jorge Luis Borges in his prose. (Literal translation: "A woman hurts me all over my body" – in other words, someone was dangerously in love.) Leave it to one of Buenos Aires’s most famous artistic exports, the Argentinian writer who wrote those iconic words in his poem "El amenazado," to perfectly capture the duality of love – the joy in its pain, the pain in its joy, its joy and its pain – in one gorgeous, devastating sentence.

He could be talking about tango, Argentina’s greatest creative export, a lovely song and dance that finds the beauty in excruciating emotion. Or perhaps Buenos Aires itself is his lady.... (Click here to read the rest of the story....)

No comments: